After enjoying pasta at a restaurant that makes wonderful pasta then the first thing that comes to our mind is “how to make pasta”. “How to make pasta” can be easy and simple once the person is used to it but initially, the person may find it a complicating job. Every homemaker wants to learn the art of making pasta because everybody likes pasta. To make everybody happy, the homemaker wants to master the skill of “how to make pasta”. Many a times, people go to restaurants and they realize that they have paid a high bill for something that was not worth so it is always better to learn “how to make pasta” at home so that, at least with some extra efforts, the taste of pasta is good enough to lick the fingers.
How to make pasta at home?
“How to make pasta” at home cannot be learned by reading various recipes; the person needs to get into the kitchen and start making it. Initially, when the person starts making it, they will find it difficult but they should try it repeatedly so that they can achieve perfection. “How to make pasta” at home is as follows: -
- The first step in “how to make pasta” is mixing the white flour. The flour can be either white Italian flour or American bread flour; if the person if planning to go ahead with Italian standard floor then they should choose for 00 grade flour as it has more elasticity as compared to other available flours. Then the person will also need egg yolks. If the person is planning to make pasta for 4-6 people then they will need 7-8 pounds of flour, 5-6 eggs and a pinch of salt.
- The flour should be mixed in egg completely. Water should be completely avoided so that the taste of pasta is maintained.
- The floor is to be rolled into a sheet and the sheet should be as thin as possible. When the pasta is boiled then it will be double the size of what it is when it is in dough form.
- The person can give shape to the pasta in a hand operated way or by using a readymade motor that cuts pasta in the shape as required. Making pasta in a hand operated mode can be very difficult but it can be learned with time.
- The final step in “how to make pasta” at home is by boiling it in salted water and then the cook can give the flavor as required by them.
Advantages of learning “how to make pasta” at home
Tasty pastas are available in many restaurants but there are many advantage of learning “how to make pasta” at home and they are as follows: -
- Pastas at home can be prepared in various flavors that are normally not available in restaurants
- It is healthy and tasty as compared to restaurant pastas.
“How to make pasta” at home can be tricky and messy initially but later, it will be fun and tasty when the person achieves perfection.
You must have probably skimmed through a dozen cookbooks but, have still not been able to the learn how to make pasta properly. The pasta either gets overcooked and sticky or it remains uncooked to taste like raw flour. Pasta is an easy to cook dish, light on the stomach and filled with tangy flavors. If your pasta dish has always been a disappointment, don’t let it be so any more. Follow the step by step guide to make your pasta simply delicious.
Tips on how to make pasta
- The general tip that many would give on how to make pasta properly is to use plenty of water. However, the quantity of water used should be in proportion to the quantity of pasta you want to cook.
- When you bring the pasta to a boil, it becomes sticky on account of the exuded starch. To prevent them from sticking together, you can gently stir the water merely to separate them.
- Many add a drop of oil to the water to avoid sticky slushy pasta. This is a good solution to avoid stickiness but, at the cost of the flavor. The oil greased pasta surface does not absorb the sauce flavor well thus making your pasta flavorless and bland.
- The secret behind making the pasta dish delicious lies with the sauce- when and how you combine it. You should never rinse the pasta unless you’re using it for pasta salads. The exuded starch helps the pasta sauce adhere well and rinsing will get rid of this starch. A few pasta recipes also make use of a small quantity of the pasta water containing starch as it works to its advantage. It helps thicken the sauce.
- Another tip to get your pasta right is to toss the pasta in the hot sauce while the pasta is still hot.
- Using a generous amount of salt about 1-2tablespoons in the pasta water will give it a better flavor. This may seem too much but, it’s just what the pasta needs.
How to make pasta?
Pasta is available in different sizes and shapes topped with various sauces. Homemade fresh pasta is lighter on the stomach as it does not have semolina flour that is mainly used in the commercial pasta. Besides, it also tastes good and absorbs the sauce better.
How to make pasta: Cooking the pasta
Take enough water in a large pot and allow it to boil well with some salt. Once the water starts boiling, drop in the pasta carefully. Stir for a minute to avoid sticking. You can place the lid for a few seconds to bring the water back to a boil. The pasta preparation time will vary with the size and shape of the pasta. After it is ready, drain the pasta. Add a drop of oil if you are keeping it away for later use.
How to make pasta: The sauces
Toss the pasta in the sauce while it is still warm. It will absorb the flavor well. Add some garnish and serve hot. Some sauces that you can use as a topping are tomato sauce, white sauce, the traditional pesto or pesto pistachio sauce and carbonara sauce.